Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pastry

I have been trying out the art of pastry which can be fairly difficult depending on what you are making. There are six types of pastries I am going to focus on:

Shortcrust/Sweetcrust: tart shells

Phyllo: Greek/Middle Eastern, made for things like baklava

Flaky: pie crusts

Puff: croissants, cheese straws, hor'devours, danishes, beef wellingtons, and the list goes on

Choux: French, used for cream puffs, eclairs, and so forth

I have mastered the puff pastry and flaky pastry. Today I wanted to try out the choux pastry. The first recipe I used (from Williams-Sonoma Baking cook book) wasn't that fabulous and was a little runny for me. Then I found another one and was able to make these beautiful little cream puffs. I filled them with whipped cream and will try and find a custard recipe later. I didn't make any eclairs, just puffs for today, but they came out beautifully.



No comments: